Mayor Robin Rost 984-2290
Darlene Wiedrich Alderman 984-2437
Wade Williams Alderman 984-2725
Tricia Brame Auditor/Treasurer 984-2226
Jana Schimelfenig City Assessor 547-3220
The population was 43 at the 2010 census.
A Bit of History
Cathay was founded in 1893 and was the first town in the county on The Soo line. The Post Office was established in 1893. The first flour mill in the county was erected here in 1894. The newspaper was the Cathay Bee. (by E.S. Killie, as printed in the May 27, 1976 edition of the Wells County Free Press)
The First State Bank was established in 1902. In 1912, Cathay Hardware and Implement Company sold between fifty and seventy five thousand dollars worth of machinery and implements. Other business in the early 1900’s include: Post Office and store of A.H. Hardy; Kenwood Hotel, A.E. Biebe, proprietor; Henry Brokofsky farm machinery and implements and Case automobiles; W.A. Smith, connected with city wood and coal business and pool and billard parlor; C.L. Sprague restaurant; Rogers Lumber managed by L. Hockley; telephone operator Miss Elizabeth Rust; Osborne-McMillan Elevator Co, managed by W.G. Stephens; Corner Store managed by A. Leis; S.H. Kobs Merchandise; L.E. Poppleston Independent Elevator; Regan-Lyness Elevator. (“Wells County 1884-1984 A Centennial Souvenir”)
More information about the history of Cathay would be appreciated. If you’d like to submit a story or some information about the community, businesses or school, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.